I recently came across a recipe for chicken salad on Saveur that was made for the cafe in the Neiman Marcus department stores. I decided I had to try it. The Neiman Marcus Chicken Salad was created in the 1950’s by a well known Texas cook named Helen Corbitt. I have made a creamy salad recipe before that used whipping cream in it. The whipping cream makes it rich and extra creamy. This recipe also called for whipping cream so I knew it had to be good. The recipe also said to use the cream whipped. However, I reduced the amount and eliminated whipping and just added it straight from the carton.
I also used a rotisserie chicken from the store to make this. But, you can always cook your own chicken if you prefer. This salad was a rich and creamy treat to eat for dinner. I served it on croissants for my family because they would think I was crazy to serve chicken salad any other way. However, for me I just served it up on a couple red lettuce leaves. I also enjoyed the leftovers the next day for lunch! This was an easy dinner to prepare. No cooking was required – definitely a great way to beat the summer heat!Print
- 4 cups cooked and diced chicken (I used a rotisserie chicken)
- 1 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 1/2 cup purple grapes, halved
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup toasted sliced almonds plus additional for garnish if desired (I bought them toasted from the store)
- In a large bowl, combine all of the above ingredients.
- Fold the mixture until well combined. Serve on croissants or over red lettuce leaves.
- Serves 6.
Recipe adapted from Saveur.