Today, I have a Mushroom Council Giveaway. From now until November 15, select retailers nationwide will be selling mushrooms in pink containers. This is in recognition of breast cancer research and National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Since 2002, the Mushroom Council has invested more than $750,000 in grants to City of Hope for research on mushrooms and cancer.
This fall, the Council will provide an additional $50,000 to continue funding this important research. City of Hope is a leading research, treatment and education center for cancer, diabetes and other life-threatening diseases. It is designated as a Comprehensive Cancer Center, the highest honor bestowed by the National Cancer Institute.
Did you know?
- Mushrooms are low in sodium and calories, fat and cholesterol-free.
- You can use mushrooms as an effective substitute for meats thanks to their hearty and fulfilling nature.
- Mushrooms are the only item in the produce aisle to provide vitamin D, and one of the few non-fortified food sources.
- All mushrooms contain vitamin D, but growers also have the ability to increase D levels by exposing mushrooms to ultraviolet light.
- These friendly fungi provide critical nutrients like energizing B vitamins, potassium and powerful antioxidants including ergothionene and selenium.
- Mushrooms are already low in sodium, plus their umami counterbalances saltiness. This allows less salt to be used in a dish, without compromising flavor.
- Mushrooms are a kitchen staple: they can star as the feature ingredient, or pair with any dish. Try them every day, in every way.
You can join me tomorrow Tuesday October 4 in the Mushroom Council #gno Twitter party. It is from 9-11 ET to chat about balancing health, wellness & breast cancer awareness. Should be fun so be sure to RVSP! Check who else will be at the party:
@fujimama, @goodLifeEats, @alisonlewis, @aggieskitchen,
@cookincanuck, @bellalimento, @cookinlean, @jylmomIF,
@Dadventurous, @troypattee, @MomItForward
Now, I am a huge mushroom fan! Here are some of the recipes that I love to make using mushrooms!
- Chicken Teriyaki Rice Bowls
- Sausage and Egg Breakfast Pizza (pictured above)
- Stuffed Beef Patties with Mushroom Gravy
- Chicken Sausage Oven-Roasted Pasta Pimavera
- Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
- Mushroom Dijon Chicken (pictured above)
- Chicken a la King (pictured above)
- Ground Beef Stroganoff
- Panko Topped Green Bean Casserole
- Skillet Ground Beef Stew (pictured above)
- Zucchini Marinara Subs
- Rice a Roni Chicken Salad (pictured above)
- Baked Cheesy Chicken Penne
- Hot Chicken and Rice Salad
- Chicken Tetrazzini
- Deluxe Macaroni and Cheese
Also, there are some “Cooking Against Cancer” recipes available at the City of Hope Facebook Super Foods tab.
The Mushroom Council has provided a give away for one lucky winner RMK reader. The package, valued at $100 retail, includes:
- Mushroom slicer
- Cuisinart Chef’s Classic Stainless Saute Pan with Cover (5 Quart)
- Book: “MyPlate for Moms, How to Feed Yourself & Your Family Better”
To enter you can:
- Follow @MushroomChannel on Twitter and leave a comment on this post telling me you did
- Like the Mushroom Channel Facebook page and leave a comment on this post telling me you did
- Leave a comment on this post telling me “How you support Breast Cancer Awareness Month and cancer prevention?”
You may enter until Tuesday Oct. 11 at 10 pm (MST).
Disclosure: I was compensated for my participation in the Mushroom Council campaign.