Today’s recipe is a great summer time meal. This gets cooked in the microwave. Everything in this Microwave Chicken Tortilla Pie is already cooked. So all you need to do is put it in the microwave to heat it up and get the cheese all melted.
You can always adjust the heat by the amount of taco seasoning and green chilies that you add. This amount was perfect for our family. I must say, my favorite part in the french fried onions on top. I just may have to use a little more next time.
When I updated the photo from this post, I found something a little different to use on top. I found a package of crispy fried onions that included fried jalapeños. My oldest son and I love the added heat it added. The rest of my family only wanted the french fried onions.
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, shredded or diced (this is about 2 cups)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup crispy fried onion, divided
- 1 (4 oz) can chopped green chilies
- 1 pkg taco seasoning
- 1 Tbsp dried cilantro or 3 Tbsp fresh
- 2 (10 inch) flour tortillas (the big burrito sized ones)
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, sour cream, 1 cup of the cheese, 1/2 cup of fried onions, chopped green chilies, taco seasoning, and chopped cilantro. Mix until well combined.
- Cut up one of the tortilla into 1 inch pieces using a pizza wheel. Add to the chicken mixture and stir until blended in.
- Place the remaining tortilla into a 9 inch pie plate, this will create the crust for your pie. Spoon the mixture into the tortilla/crust.
- Place in microwave and microwave on high for about five minutes. Sprinkle the pie with the remaining cheese followed by the fried onions. Microwave for one minute more, or until cheese is melted. Keep in mind that microwave varies, so cooking time may vary too. Makes 6 servings.
Recipe adapted from Southern Plate.