This post contains affiliate links.
Today’s recipe is a twist on one of my family’s favorite meals, Hawaiian Haystacks. These are called Easy Mexican Pile Ups. Since my family loves them so much and also enjoys Mexican food, I thought a Mexican version would be fun for a change.
The sauce base of this recipe is a simple ground beef/tomato sauce made with onion and taco seasoning. You serve the sauce over rice along with the toppings of your choice. We used shredded cheese, corn, green onion, sliced olives, guacamole, and sour cream. I did make a complete list of toppings I think would work and included that list in the recipe below. However, I am sure you all can come up with even more items that would be delicious on these Mexican pile ups.
- TACO SEASONING
- COOKED RICE
- GRATED CHEESE
- GREEN ONION
- DICED AVOCADO
- DICED TOMATOES
- SALSA OR PICO DE GALLO
- SOUR CREAM
- CORN (I WOULD THAW FROZEN CORN OR USE CANNED CORN)
- CANNED BEANS (RINSED AND DRAINED)
- SLICED OLIVES
- CRUSHED TORTILLA OR CORN CHIPS
- TORTILLA STRIPS
- DICED RED OR GREEN PEPPERS
Mexican Pile Ups
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 lb. hamburger
- 3 (8 oz.) cans tomato sauce
- 1 pkg. taco seasoning
- cooked rice (at least 4 cups)
- Toppings Choices:
- grated cheese
- green onion
- diced avocado
- diced tomatoes
- salsa or pico de gallo
- sour cream
- corn (I would thaw frozen corn or use canned corn)
- canned beans (rinsed and drained)
- sliced olives
- crushed tortilla or corn chips
- tortilla strips
- diced red or green peppers
- In a large skillet, brown the beef along with the onion. When beef is fully cooked drain off any grease.
- Add the cans of tomato sauce and taco seasoning. Bring to a simmer and allow to simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Serve the beef/tomato sauce over cooked rice and top with desired toppings. Serves 6.
This is the original photo from this post. The above photo was updated in January 2016.
[…] Mexican Pile Ups […]
[…] Mexican Pile-Ups. This one is super easy. Just make some ground beef with taco seasoning, cook some rice, and […]
Mmm mmmm! Looks absolutely delicious! I can’t wait to make this 🙂