This post contains affiliate links.
I do like a bowl of hot oatmeal for breakfast. Especially on a cool morning. One of my favorite ways to enjoy that bowl of oatmeal is with some brown sugar sprinkled on top. However, oatmeal isn’t a very portable item for breakfast on the go, but these maple brown sugar oatmeal muffins ARE!
Today’s muffin recipe takes the all the flavors of a bowl of maple and brown sugar oatmeal along and puts them into muffin form. This may just be my new favorite muffins. Fresh from the oven is the best way to enjoy them, but they are still great the next day.
After these come out of the oven, the brown sugar helps make a slightly crunch top. The texture that the oatmeal adds to the muffin is wonderful. My husband, however, had a different opinion on the texture. He said the muffins were too chewy for him. Next time, I think I may use half quick oats and half old fashioned oats and see if that helps with the chewiness of these muffins for him.
These aren’t super strong as far as the maple flavor goes, but if you wanted it stronger, you could try a little maple flavoring in these Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal Muffins.
Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal Muffins
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup oil
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a bowl, mix the oats and milk together.
- Add the maple syrup, oil, brown sugar, and eggs. Mix until combined.
- Add in the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt together just until combined. The batter will be wet.
- Divide the batter between the prepared muffin tins. Cups will be completely full.
- Bake at 400 for 18-25 minutes, or until the muffins spring back when lightly pressed.
- Allow the muffins cool in the tin for 5 minutes. Makes 12 muffins.
Recipe adapted from I Heart Eating.
Loved this recipe but I was wondering if I could add apples? Thank you!!