For day two of soup week, I have an amazing loaded baked potato soup recipe to share. Now, the main difference between a creamy potato soup and a baked potato soup is how you cook the potato.
With a creamy potato soup, the potato cooks in the soup pot, usually in some broth. On the other hand, a baked potato soup utilizes potatoes that have actually been baked before hand. You can bake some up just to make this soup. Alternatively, it is a great way to use up leftover baked potatoes.
This potato soup also has another form of potatoes in it, it is mashed potatoes. You can just make up a package of instant mashed potatoes or use leftover mashed potatoes. This soup also has the addition of celery which just added to the flavor and texture.
This base of this soup includes salt, pepper, basil and thyme. I love the added flavor that the basil and thyme add to this loaded baked potato soup. It is something you usually don’t see in a baked potato soup. This is a soup that I am going to be cooking often this season. It is pure comfort food!Print
- 4–6 large potatoes, baked and cooled
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 (4 oz) pkg instant mashed potatoes, prepared according to pkg directions or 2 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
- Toppings – shredded cheese, bacon bits, and green onion
- Peel the baked potatoes and cut into 1 inch pieces.
- In a large stock potatoes, melt butter. Saute onion and celery in butter until tender. Add in flour and cook for a minute or 2 until golden.
- Slowly add in chicken broth and water. Cook until begins to thicken. Add salt, basil, thyme, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add in the prepared mashed potatoes. Stir to combine. Add the baked potato pieces to the soup along with the half and half and evaporated milk.
- To serve, top with cheese, bacon bits and green onion.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Recipe is adapted from Impressively Easy Cooking.