On occasion, I have a little leftover bacon and ham. When I do, I love the make this recipe. It calls for both bacon and ham, but I have made it before with just bacon and just ham.
This recipe comes from the Lion House here in Utah. I usually just use a Marie Callender’s frozen deep dish pie shell from the store to make it. If I do this, then I usually cook the shell a little longer than the 5 minutes the recipes states. Just make sure it is a little brown and puffy.
I also never use the green pepper and only use the lemon peel if I happen to have a lemon in the fridge, which I usually don’t. However, the lemon peel is a good addition and adds to the flavor. It’s great for dinner with a muffin and some fresh fruit.
- 1 9-inch unbaked pie crust
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3/4 cup cooked ham, minced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped ( I never use this)
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup cream
- 1/2 tsp grated lemon peel (I only use this if I have a lemon laying around the house)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard
- Bake unpricked pastry shell for 5 min at 425 degrees. Remove from oven and arrange cheese, bacon, and ham in the bottom of the shell.
- Sprinkle with green onion and green pepper.
- In medium bowl, combine eggs, cream, lemon peel, salt, and dry mustard. Pour evenly over cheese mixture. Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes or until set. (Usually takes 55 min for me) Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Cut into 6 servings.