Today’s pancake not only incorporates the light and refreshing flavor of lemon but the pancake it self is light and tender. These lemony light pancakes are thin and delicate pancakes. They have more a a sponge like quality to them rather than the usual cake like consistency you’d expect from a traditional pancake.
Serve them up with a dusting of powdered sugar along with some strawberry slices. then finish them off with a drizzle of syrup or honey. Serve these up for mom on Mother’s Day. She will love starting her day with this light and flavorful breakfast.
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, separated
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 Tbsp of lemon juice (used from the lemon you zested)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 Tbsp sugar (I used Quick Dissolve Superfine sugar)
- pinch of salt
- butter for the skillet
- strawberry slices
- powdered sugar
- syrup or honey
- In a bowl, whisk together buttermilk, yolks from the eggs, lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla. While whisking mix in melted butter.
- Add the flour, baking soda, sugar, and salt to the egg mixture and whisk just until combined.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks are form. Then fold into the batter.
- Melt a little butter in a skillet and place 1/8 cup of batter into the pan. Cook as you would a regular pancake. repeat until all the batter is used.
- Serve with strawberry slices, a dusting of powdered sugar and a drizzle of honey or syrup. makes about 12 pancakes.
Recipe adapted from @Kokken.