There is a place just north of Salt Lake City called Plates and Palets. This place is well known for their lemon tarragon pasta salad. I have been there once and ordered their well known salad. It was delicious.
This salad is different as far as the regular chicken pasta salad goes. The dressing is where the flavor variation comes from. The lemon zest and lemon juice add a nice freshness and brightness to the salad. Then there is the fresh tarragon. It has a distinct herbal flavor with a hint of anise. I have used the dried version before but fresh tarragon tastes way better.
This salad will make a refreshing summer meal. It’s also great for a potluck, baby shower, or wedding shower too. pair it with a delicious roll and you are set.
- 1 (16 oz) pkg bow tie noodles
- 2 cups red grapes, sliced in half
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 bunch of green onions, chopped
- 2 cups cooked and cubed chicken
- 1 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2 lemons juiced and zested
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp fresh tarragon, minced
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp honey
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Run cool water over pasta and drain.
- Into a large bowl, add the drained pasta, red grapes, celery, almonds, green onions, and chicken.
- For the dressing, roughly chop the fresh tarragon and place it in a high powered blender. Add the remaining dressing ingredients. Blend on high power for 30 seconds, or until dressing is smooth and frothy.
- Add half of the dressing to the bowl with the salad ingredients and stir to combine.
- Cover the salad and the remaining half of the dressing and chill for 1-2 hours. Pour the rest of the dressing over the salad just before serving.
This recipe is adapted from Jamie Cooks It Up.