I saw this recipe for lemon roasted chicken when I was watching an episode of Martha Stewart’s Everyday Food. I really love a good roasted chicken and this one sounded simple, yet tasty. This chicken turned out moist and flavorful. The whole family loved it. This one is a keeper. I didn’t make the sauce as the recipe had directed, I made a gravy from the dripping and it was excellent.
- WHOLE CHICKEN
- UNSALTED BUTTER
- COARSE SALT AND FRESHLY GROUND PEPPER
- 1 chicken (3 1/2 pounds), rinsed and patted dry
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
- 2 to 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 lemon, quartered
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a roasting pan with a rack, set aside. Rub chicken all over with garlic and then with 2 tablespoons butter. Season inside and out with salt and pepper. Place garlic cloves and lemon pieces inside the cavity. Tie legs together with kitchen twine.
- Place chicken on rack in prepared pan and tuck the wing tips under. Roast until the juices run clear when the thigh is pierced, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Transfer chicken to a platter, and discard twine. I Then I added some chicken broth to the bottom of the pan to get the drippings and made gravy. I make my gravy by adding potato water and bullion cubes to the drippings and thicken it with a slurry of water and flour.