I must say that I really am a breakfast fan. I love a big yummy breakfast. If I had things my way, breakfast would be the big meal of the day instead of dinner. That being said, a brunch is also just as wonderful to me. I decided for the remainder of this week and all of next week, I am sharing some breakfast/brunch recipes that would be a perfect addition to a Spring or Easter breakfast/brunch. Yep, I had too many recipes to fit them all into one week!
We are starting off with an original recipe by moi! I decided to turn a box of Betty Crocker blueberry muffins into a yummy lemon blueberry coffee cake! Blueberries and lemon go so well together. I also am a big lemon fan and the bright citrus flavor just screams Spring to me. Love it.
Now, I must tell you that only half of my family really appreciated the lemon glaze that I put on this coffee cake. The other half thought it was “too lemony”. However, they are not lemon fans. So if you aren’t a big lemon fan then you could substitute half of the lemon juice for some milk or use all milk in it’s place if the whole lemon thing scares you.
I must say, I liked the tangy burst the lemon glaze gave this sweet and moist blueberry coffee cake. It was pretty darn good if I do say so myself!
- 1 (18.25 oz) box Betty Crocker Blueberry mix
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray the bottom of a 8 or 9 inch square baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. Open and drain the can of blueberries from inside the box of muffin mix. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together the muffin mix, water, oil, and egg just until combined. The batter will be lumpy.
- Gently fold in the lemon rind and blueberries into the batter. Pour batter into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 23-30 minutes until top starts to get golden and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, combine the powered sugar and lemon juice together to created a glaze. Drizzle the glaze over the coffee cake after it has cooled for the 10 minutes and serve.