Today’s recipe is one I got from Sargento, the cheese company. I must say I am a big cheese fan and this layered penne ham, mushrooms, and peas dish that uses 3 kinds of cheese – ricotta, swiss, and Parmesan. YUM! The best way to describe this dish is a cross between a lasagna and a macaroni and cheese.
I must say that I loved the 3 cheese combination in this dish. I also like the addition of the ham and the mushrooms. I left them big enough so those who aren’t mushroom fans at my house could pick around them. I must admit I wasn’t too hot on the peas. Personally, I’d rather have double the mushroom but my family won’t go for that. So next time I would prefer to just omit the peas in this Layered Penne with Ham, Mushrooms, and Peas.Print
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 Tbsp. chopped red bell pepper (I used roasted red pepper and added it into the sauce with the ham and peas)
- 3 Tbsp. chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups (10 oz.) diced smoked ham
- 1 cup frozen small peas, thawed
- 6 oz. penne pasta, cooked and drained
- 1 cup Sargento® Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese
- 1 cup (4 oz.) Sargento® Artisan Blends® Shredded Swiss Cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup (1 oz.) Sargento® Artisan Blends® Shredded Parmesan Cheese, divided
- Cook mushrooms, red pepper and onions in butter in medium saucepan over medium heat 3 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in flour and pepper until smooth. Stir in mustard. Gradually stir in milk and broth. Heat to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently. Boil and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in ham and peas.
- Place 1 cup sauce in bottom of 8×8-inch baking dish. Layer half of penne over sauce. Spread with 1/2 cup Ricotta cheese, half of remaining sauce, 1/2 cup Swiss cheese and 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Repeat with layers of pasta, 1/2 cup Ricotta cheese and sauce.
- Cover and bake in preheated 375°F oven 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes more. Sprinkle with remaining Swiss cheese and Parmesan cheese. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Serves 6.
This is a sponsored post.