Today’s soup is a delicious Italian Tortellini Soup. I found it over at my good blogging friend Jamie’s site, Jamie Cooks It Up. It makes a big pot. I thought it would fit in my 5.25 quart Rachael Ray cast iron pan that I got from CSN, but that pan was still too small. So, I would recommend at least a 6 quart pot, a 7 quart would probably be best. You could always half the recipe and make it in a smaller pot.
This soup is absolutely delicious. I especially LOVE the zucchini in the recipe. I used a package of 24 oz. Olivieri cheese tortelloni that I got from Costco for the tortellini. However, you could easily use cooked pasta in place of the tortellini to adjust the cost of this recipe, but the tortellini is really delicious!
Next time, I make this I am going to make up to the point of where you add the tortellini. Then freeze half for another meal. When I am ready to eat the other half – just thaw, reheat and mix in the cooked tortellini.
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 diced onion
- salt and pepper
- 3 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- 8 cups water
- 8 tsp beef bullion
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup fresh or frozen green beans, chopped
- 1 (14.5 oz) can kidney beans
- 1 cup zucchini, chopped
- 1 pkg Good Seasoning dry Italian Dressing Mix
- 1 (10 3/4 oz) can condensed tomato soup
- 1 (20 oz) pkg Cheese Tortellini (I used the refrigerated kind from Costco, but you can easily use dried.)
- Brown your hamburger in a large skillet with the onion, garlic and enough of salt and pepper to taste.
- Put the canned tomatoes in a blender and blend them until smooth.
- Put the meat mixture, blended tomatoes and all other ingredients BUT THE TORTELLINI and TOMATO SOUP into a large soup pot. Bring it to a boil then reduce the heat and let the soup simmer for about 20 minutes. Partially cover your pot.
- In a separate medium sized sauce pan cook the tortellini according to package directions. Be sure not to over cook it. When it’s done drain the water from the tortellini and add it to the large soup pot.
- Stir in the tomato soup and let it simmer for just 5 more minutes. Makes enough for 12.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Italian