Taco soup is actually pretty healthy. It’s broth based and includes a good about of veggies and beans in it. We are talking 2 types of beans, tomatoes, and corn.
For the meat, I used ground beef in this version. But you could easily change that to ground chicken or turkey. You could even skip browning meat and just add in some cooked rotissere chicken. Change it up to what works for you.
There are some great seasonings used it it too. You have the usual taco seasoning, but I also like to add dry ranch dressing mix to my taco soup. This includes opion powder and salt too. You can add some cayenne pepper in there if you want some added heat. For my family, I leave it out.
Last is the toppings for this Instant Pot Taco Soup. If you want to go heathy opt for green onion, cilantro, or diced avocado to top your soup with. If you want to goo all out then include shredded cheese, sour cream, and tortilla chips too.Print
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (14.5 oz) can beef broth
- 1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz) can corn with the liquid
- 1 (1 oz) pkg dry ranch dressing mix
- 1 (1 oz) pkg taco seasoning
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper, optional for a little heat
- 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (10 oz) can mild Rotel (use medium or hot for more spice)
- desired topping such as shredded cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips, green onion, cilatro, or dice avocado
- Turn the Instant Pot on to saute. Add in the ground beef and brown until fully cooked. Turn off saute and drain off any excess grease.
- Add in the beef broth, kidney beans, black beans, corn, ranch dressing mix, taco seasoning, onion powder, salt and optional cayenne pepper if desired. Stir together.
- Then pour the tomatoes and Rotel to the center, avoiding the sides of the Instant Pot.
- Place the lid on pot and make sure valve is set to seal. Cook on high pressure for 8 minutes.
- Once completed, do a quick pressure release.
- Allow soup to cool for 5 minutes. Serve in bowls with desired toppings. Serves 8-10.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Mexican
Recipe is adapted from The Frugal Girls.