This post may contain affiliate links.
I have made a Mississippi roast before. So I was thrilled to find this recipe for Instant Pot Mississippi chicken sandwiches where you cook the meat in the Instant Pot. This was a hit. My husband love the flavor of this meat and how tender it was.
Now you make the Mississippi roast in the slow cooker and it takes 8 hours. The chicken for these Instant Pot Mississippi Chicken sandwiches is made in the Instant Pot and cooks for 20 minutes.
To cook this chicken, you place it in the Instant Pot along with some chicken broth, dry ranch dressing mix, chicken gravy mix, pepperoncini peppers, juice from the jarred pepperoncini, and butter. Then it cooks in the Instant Pot for 20 minutes, after that you do a quick release. Then shred that chicken. It should seriously just fall apart.
To serve, you place it on toasted buns with melted provolone cheese. The toasty bun is the perfect contrast for that tender, juicy chicken. Plus, the toasted bun helps hold up to the juicy chicken. Then add on some lettuce and a little mayo too. You can even add some of peppers to that sandwich if you want to.
Instant Pot Mississippi Chicken Sandwiches
- Total Time: 25 minutes pluse time to come to pressure
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 8 whole pepperoncini peppers
- ½ cup pepperoncini juice (from the jar of pepperoncini’s)
- 1 (1 oz) pkg dry ranch seasoning mix
- 1 (1 oz) pkg chicken gravy mix
- 2 Tbsp butter, cut into pieces
- 8 hamburger buns
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- lettuce slices
- Add chicken breasts the Instant Pot.
- Pour in the chicken broth and pepperoncini juice over the chicken.
- Sprinkle the dry ranch seasoning mix and the dry chicken gravy mix on top of the chicken.
- Place the peppers and butter on top of the chicken.
- Place the lid on the pot and make sure the valve is set to seal. Cook on HIGH PRESSURE COOK (or MANUAL) and for 20 minutes.
- Do a QUICK RELEASE and remove the pressure. Remove chicken from pot and shred. Then place the chicken back in the liquid in pot.
- Toast the buns with the cheese in the oven on broil.
- Top each hamburger bun with shredded chicken, lettuce, and a little mayo. Serves 8.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes plus time to come to pressure
- Category: chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
This recipe is adapted from Six Sisters’ Stuff.