This post contains affiliate links.
I love this version of corn chowder that is made in the instant pot. It is full of great flavor! Any time bacon is involved you know it’s gonna be good.
It all begins with sautéing chopped bacon in the pot until crisp. Then bacon is then removed and set aside. However, you keep some of the drippings to saute the onion, peppers, and garlic in. As a result, itt will smell like heaven.
Next, you add in corn and potatoes. I like to use Yukon gold potatoes here. I like how they keep their shape after cooking. For the corn, you can cut fresh corn off the ears when you have access to it. However, you can also use frozen corn. That is what I used.
Chicken stock and spices are then added in. Fresh thyme is awesome to use, but dried will do if needed. Also, the smoked paprika is a nice addition. It then gets finished by using half and half mixed with cornstarch followed by cheese! It’s creamy cheesy goodness.
Instant Pot Corn Chowder
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 servings 1x
- 4 bacon strips, diced into small pieces
- 1/2 diced onion
- 1 cup chopped colored bell peppers
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 3 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 4 Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced into small cubes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
- 3–4 fresh thyme sprigs or 1/2 tsp dried thyme.
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 cups of chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Press ‘SAUTE’ button on Instant Pot. Add the bacon pieces, and saute until it turns crisp. Transfer on a plate lined with a paper towel. Pour off the bacon grease leaving a tablespoon or two in the pot to saute the veggies.
- Add onions and peppers. Saute until the onions are translucent.
- Next, add the 1 Tbsp of minced garlic and saute until fragrant.
- Add 3 cups of corn kernels, along with the diced potatoes.
- Add salt, pepper, thyme sprigs or dried thyme, bay leaves, and smoked paprika. Add chicken broth and mix well.
- Press ‘CANCEL’. Close the lid of the Instant Pot. Set the valve to ‘SEALING’. Set to manual for 5 minutes.
- Mix the cornstarch with the half-and-half and set it aside.
- Allow a natural pressure release for 5 minutes. Then do a quick release of any leftover pressure. Discard the bay leaves and thyme sprigs if used.
- Press the ‘CANCEL’ button and turn on the ‘SAUTE’ button. Once the chowder begins to bubble, whisk the cornstarch together again and add the cornstarch slurry mixture to the pot whole stirring. Keep stirring the soup until it thickens. Press ‘CANCEL’ to turn off the ‘SAUTE’ mode.
- Add 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese. Mix well until all the cheese has melted. Then add the remaining cup of cheese and bacon.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American