This ham broccoli and rice casserole is another great option to use up leftover Easter ham. However, it’s still good to make without leftover ham. Just grab some from your local meat department or deli counter.
I love that this ham broccoli and rice casserole is all made in one pot. Then you add it to a baking dish, top with the Ritz topping, and bake. First, add some onion and butter to a large skillet or stock pot. Once the onion is tender, you add in some olive oil, chicken broth, and uncooked long grain rice.
Next, bring it all to a boil. Then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 7 minutes. Place the thawed frozen broccoli on top of the rice, then cover and cook for another 8 minutes. At this point, turn of the heat and allow it to sit for 10 minutes.
Now you are going to mix in the ham, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, milk, and some of the cheddar cheese. Once this is all combined, you pour and spread it into a 9 x13 inch baking dish. Then sprinkle with the remaining cheddar cheese. Place in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes.
In the meantime, you are going to combine some crushed Ritz crackers with some melted butter. Once the 15 minutes is up, you are going to sprinkle the Ritz cracker mixture over the casserole and bake for another 10 minutes. Allow the casserole to sit for 5 minutes before serving.
We loved the combination of ham and broccoli in the casserole. we also especially love the Ritz cracker topping. We really love anything that includes a Ritz cracker topping. It’s the perfect amount of buttery crunch to add to any dish.
- OLIVE OIL
- CHICKEN BROTH
- WHITE LONG GRAIN RICE
- COOKED HAM
- FROZEN BROCCOLI FLORETS
- CREAM OF CHICKEN SOUP
- SOUR CREAM
- CHEDDAR CHEESE
- RITZ CRACKERS
Ham Broccoli and Rice Casserole
Real Mom Kitchen
- 2 Tbsp butter
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 ¼ cup uncooked white long grain rice
- 2 cups diced cooked ham
- 2 cups frozen broccoli florets thawed
- 1 10 3/4 oz can cream of chicken soup
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- salt/pepper to taste
- Ritz Cracker Topping
- 1 ½ cups crushed Ritz crackers
- 3 Tbsp butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt 2 Tbsp butter in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add the diced onions and cook for 5 minutes, until tender.
- Mix in the chicken broth, olive oil, and rice. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cover tightly and cook for 7 minutes.
- Add the broccoli on top of he rice, replace the lid and cook for 8 more minutes. Do not stir.
- Turn off heat, leave the cover on. Allow the rice stand for 10 minutes.
- Mix in the diced ham, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, milk, and ONE cup of the cheddar cheese. Stir until well-combined. Spread into a lightly greased 9 x 13 casserole dish. Sprinkle with remaining cup of cheddar cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, combine the Ritz cracker crumbs and the 3 Tbsp melted butter. Sprinkle over the top of the casserole and bake, UNCOVERED, for 10 more minutes. Allow the casserole sit for 5 minutes before to serving. Serves 6.
This recipe is adapted from The Cozy Cook.