I like to make my bbq pork using root beer, so why not grilled cola bbq chicken?
Today, I have a tasty grilled chicken recipe with a bbq sauce made using cola – I used Coca Cola Classic! The sauce gets some spice from hoisin sauce and red pepper flakes. This had the perfect amount of heat for us, but add a little more if you like it spicy.
You could it it as is with sauce, but we enjoy it served over hot rice!
- 1 cup cola
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 2/3 cup barbecue sauce (I used Sweet Baby Rays)
- 2 tsp. hoisin sauce
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- pepper to taste
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- hot cooked rice
- In a medium sauce pan, combine the cola, onion, barbecue sauce, hoisin sauce, garlic, salt, red pepper flakes, and pepper together. Bring to a boil over medium heat and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 10-15 minutes until slightly thickened. Set aside 3/4 cups of the sauce to use when serving.
- Grill chicken for 5-7 minutes per side or until 170 degrees. Baste with bbq sauce during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Serve cooked chicken over rice with reserved 3/4 cup sauce. Serves 6.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home.