This Frog Eye Salad recipe is fun to make especially at Halloween time simply due to the name of this salad. This recipe comes from my mom. She has been making this recipe for as long as I can remember. You make it with a pasta that’s named acini de pepe. The pasta looks similar to tapioca after you cook it. That’s where the name for the salad comes from, the pasta looks like little frog eyes when after you cook it.
The name may be a little odd but not the flavor of it. It makes a creamy, fruity pasta salad. This salad can be easily reduced in half. If you do half it, I would suggest just using one whole can of the crushed pineapple, unless you want to have half can of crushed and a half can of tidbits leftover for something else.
Then for those of you here in Utah, make sure to watch or record Studio 5 on KSL channel 5 tomorrow at 11 am.
I entered the Studio 5/Pier 49 Pizza contest and was one of four finalists. Unfortunately, I’m not the grand prize winner who will be announced on the show tomorrow. However, each finalist won a $40 gift certificate to Pier 49. Last week they had all the finalists come into one of the Pier 49 locations and make their pizzas. They filmed us all making our pizzas.
Then after making the pizza, we left so the judges could taste them all and make their decision. I won’t give details of the pizzas today because I don’t want to ruin it for those of you who can watch the show. However, in my post on Friday I’ll give all the details about the pizzas for those who are unable to see the show. I’m also hoping they may put a link on the website where you can watch what they aired on the show. Let the record show, I think the winner is the girl who made the “Greek pizza”. That’s all I’m gonna say. Tune in tomorrow fellow Utahns.
- PINEAPPLE JUICE
- LEMON JUICE
- ACINI DE PEPE PASTA
- CANNED PINEAPPLE CHUNKS
- CANNED MANDARIN ORANGES
- CRUSHED PINEAPPLE
- COOL WHIP
- MINI MARSHMALLOWS
Frog Eye Salad
Real Mom Kitchen
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 ½ cups pineapple juice
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 box acini de pepe pasta
- 1 20 oz can pineapple chunks, drained
- 2 cans mandarin oranges drained
- 1 10 oz can crushed pineapple
- 2 8 oz tubs of cool whip
- 1 cup or more mini marshmallows
- Add sugar, flour, salt to sauce pan; add juice and eggs. Stir constantly over medium heat. Broil to boil and cook until thick. Remove from heat. Add lemon juice and cool.
- In 3 quarts of boiling water, cook pasta for 10 min. Drain and rinse in cold water and drain again. Stir pasta in with cooked mixture in bowl and refrigerate overnight.
- Before serving add fruit, cool whip and marshmallows. Other things that you can mix in are bananas, coconut, maraschino cherries (slice in half).