This is a delicious breakfast dish. It would be perfect for Christmas morning with the fresh green herbs, tomatoes and roasted red pepper. The great thing about this delish, besides the fact that it tastes fabulous is that it is healthy. This Frittata has beans in it, yep that is right, beans. I never would have thought to put beans with eggs but it is so good in this dish. LOVE IT. The fresh herbs is the other thing that makes this taste so wonderful. Thanks to Connie Gutterson for giving me this recipe.
Frittata with Kidney Beans, Roasted Pepper, Tomato and Pesto
- 4 eggs
- 1 Tbsp fresh herbs (basil, chives or parsley)
- 1 Tbsp pesto
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup onion, sliced thin
- ½ tsp garlic, chopped
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, drained well
- ¼ cup jarred roasted red pepper, diced
- 1 can (16 oz) BUSH’S® Dark Red Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
*Optional Garnish: Tomato wedges
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, herbs, pesto, cheese and pepper. Set aside.
2. Heat a large non-stick sauté pan over medium high heat, add olive oil and onion. Sauté for 1 minute. Add garlic, cook until aromatic. Add tomatoes, peppers and beans, toss to warm through.
3. Pour in egg mixture. Cook over medium high heat. As egg mixture sets, run a non-melting spatula around the edge of the skillet, lifting egg mixture so the uncooked portion flows underneath. Continue cooking and lifting the edge until egg mixture is almost set (surface will be moist). Remove from heat.
4. Cover with foil and let stand 3 – 4 minutes or until top is set.
5. To serve, cut frittata into wedges and place on serving dish. Salt and pepper to taste. If desired, garnish with *optional tomato wedges.
- For lighter frittatas, add 2 tablespoons of low fat milk to the egg mixture.
- Frittatas can be served warm or room temperature.
- Prepare the frittata in mini muffin pans for bite size soufflé appetizers or snacks. Preheat oven to 375°F. Heat mini muffin pans for 5 minutes in preheated oven. Spray muffin pans with non-stick spray. Pour frittata filling into pans. Bake for 10 – 15 minutes or until just cooked through. Let cool slightly. Run a knife around the edge of the pan and remove frittatas. This will yield approximately 18 mini frittatas.