This is a recipe that I’ve probably been making since 1999. I adapted it from a recipe I got from a Quick Cooking Magazine (eventually called Simple and Delicious). The great thing about this Enchilada Stack recipe is most of the work can be done in the microwave. So this dish is quick to put together.
The original recipe had you cook the beef in the microwave. I personally prefer to just cook it in a skillet and then finish the dish in the microwave. You could finish it in the oven if you prefer to do so. It will just take longer. Once it’s assembled, it only takes 6 minutes in the microwave. It would take at least twice that long to cook it in the oven.
The enchilada stack serves four. So I use to double it for my family of 5. One of these was just not enough. Now it’s just perfect for the 3 of us. Everyone loves it and it is not too spicy at all. It’s very kid friendly. If you like spicy, you could always add what you like to help spice it up.
- GROUND BEEF
- TOMATO SAUCE
- CHILI POWDER
- CORN TORTILLAS (6 INCHES)
- SHREDDED CHEDDAR CHEESE
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 4 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a skillet, combine the beef, onion and garlic. Cook until meat is no longer pink, drain. Put meat into a 2 qt microwave safe dish and stir in tomato sauce, water, chili powder, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on high for 6 minutes, stirring once.
- In an ungreased 1-1/2-qt. round dish, layer one tortilla, 1/2 cup meat sauce and 1/2 cup cheese. Repeat layers three times. Heat, uncovered, on high for 45 seconds or until the cheese is melted. Yields: 4 servings
This is the photo from when it was originally posted in April 2009.