Swap your usual tortilla out on taco night for a bowl and enjoy these Crock Pot Taco Bowls. This is just another tasty way to change up your regular taco night.
The meat and bean mixture simmers in the slow cooker all day the achieve the ultimate flavor. Then the meat mixture gets served over rice. You can use any kind of rice you like – white rice, brown rice, or even cilantro lime rice.
Frito corn chips are essential for these Crock Pot Taco Bowls. Not only do they add a nice flavor but also some crunch. Lastly, you top these bowls off with your favorite taco toppings. We like to include salsa, sour cream and guacamole.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 small finely diced onion
- 1 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 cans chili beans
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 pkg taco seasoning
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- cooked rice
- Fritos corn chips
- desired toppings – sour cream, shredded cheese, avocado, pico de gallo, guacamole, shredded lettuce, etc
- Brown ground beef, onion, salt and pepper together in a skillet. Drain off any excess grease. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the ground beef mixture into the crock pot along with chili beans, tomato sauce, tomatoes, taco seasoning, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, brown sugar, and cocoa powder. Mix to combine and cook on low heat for 6-7 hours.
- Serve over cooked rice with chips and desired toppings. Serves 8.
Recipe adapted from Together as Family.