Since my goal this year to simplify where possible, I have found my slow cooker to be one of my best friend in the kitchen. I have been using it at least once a week for my meals, sometimes more. This week’s meal plan for my family include 3 recipes that utilized the slow cooker starting with this Crock Pot Cashew Chicken. I must publicly thank whoever invented this wonderful device! It is AWESOME!
So my latest adventure using the slow cooker was with this crock pot cashew chicken recipe. My hubby LOVES cashews so I was hoping he would love this dish. I kept the heat on the lower end. My family doesn’t like things too hot.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (About 4 pieces)
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 –1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, depending on how much heat you want
- 1/2 cup cashews
- diced green onion, optional garnish
- cooked rice to serve over
- In a bowl, combine flour and pepper. Toss chicken to coat in flour mixture.
- Add the oil to skillet heated over medium to medium-high heat. Add chicken to skillet and cook until browned on each side.
- Place browned chicken in slow cooker.
- In a bowl, combine the soy sauce, vinegar, ketchup, sugar, garlic, ginger, and pepper flakes; pour over chicken.
- Cook on LOW for 3 to 4 hours. Before serving add cashews and stir. I also like to top each serving with a few extra cashews and diced green onion.
- Serve over rice. Makes 4-6 servings.
Recipe adapted from The Recipe Critic.