Today’s recipe for crispy chicken bbq wraps are basically a variation on the bbq chicken sandwich. Everyone loved these when we had them for dinner. I mean you can’t really lose with bbq sauce and chicken.
For the chicken, you can cook your own with your favorite method. I like to cook mine up in the instant pot. However, a rotisserie chicken from the store is another good option to use in these.
In addition to the juicy bbq chicken in there, you have shredded cheese, red onion, and fresh cilantro. It all get wrapped inside a burrito sized flour tortilla. I think that cilantro compliments to bbq flavor so well. Now, it could end there but it doesn’t.
These chicken wraps get crispy on the outside by brushing them with a little oil. Then they get placed in a skillet warmed over medium heat. You just turn them every minute or so until the tortilla is tasty brown and crisp. You could even cook these bad boys in a panini press too and skip the skillet.
- BARBECUE SAUCE
- CHEDDAR CHEESE
- RED ONION
- LARGE BURRITO SIZED FLOUR TORTILLAS
- VEGETABLE OR CANOLA OIL
- 2 cups cooked chicken , shredded
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce , I used Sweet Baby Ray’s
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro , chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion , diced
- 4 large burrito sized flour tortillas
- 2 Tbsp oil (vegetable or canola oil)
- In a bowl, mix chicken and bbq sauce together. Add more BBQ sauce if needed, it will all depend on the thickeness of your sauce.
- Warm tortillas in the microwave for aabout 20 senconds until softened.
- Divide chicken between the 4 tortillas, placing it in the middle of the tortilla.
- Then layer the cheese, onion, and cilantro on top of the chicken.
- Roll the tortilla up by folding in the sides like a burrito, then rolling up from one end.
- Gently brush the bottom of the wraps lightly with oil and place them oil side down in a skillet warmed over medium heat.
- Then brush the top of the wraps with oil. Turn the wraps in the skilletevery minute or two until they are golden and crispy on all sides. Serve immediately. Makes 4 servings.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Sandwiches
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
This recipe is adapted from Tastes Better from Scratch.