I have shared a shepherds pie soup recipe before. However, this one is different. This is a creamy shepherds pie soup. You are gonna love this version.
The other recipe has a beefy tomato broth base and a topping of a scoop of mashed potatoes. This version is a creamy soup base made from chicken broth, mashed potatoes, half and half, sour cream, flour, and cheese. The base is so thick, rich and creamy.
In the soup itself, you have the ingredients you would expect to find in a pot pie soup. There’s ground beef, onion, garlic, peas, carrots, and corn. As far as the potatoes, instead of potatoes on top of the soup, there is creamy mashed potatoes mixed in the base. There is also some Worcestershire sauce in there to pump up that beefy flavor.
This is good comfort food. You will love having this creamy soup recipe in your collection of recipes.
- GROUND BEEF
- LARGE RUSSET POTATOES
- SOUR CREAM
- CLOVES OF GARLIC
- CHICKEN BROTH
- HALF AND HALF
- WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE
- CHEDDAR CHEESE
- MIXED FROZEN VEGETABLES
- SALT OR PEPPER
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4 large russet potatoes or to 2 lbs, peeled and cut into thirds
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 3 Tbsp butter, divided
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups half and half
- 3/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 ½ cups mixed frozen vegetables (I used 1 cup peas and carrots and 1/2 cup corn)
- salt or pepper, to taste
- In a stock pot, brown the ground beef until cooked. Drain off grease. Remove the ground beef from the pot and set aside.
- In another pot, add the potatoes and cover with 1 inch of water. Add the salt 3/4 tsp salt and bring to a boil. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until very fork tender. Drain and then mash with 1 Tablespoon of butter and the sour cream. Set aside.
- In the same pot you cooked the beef, melt the remaining 2 Tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Whisk in flour, and stir as for 1 full minute to remove the raw flour taste. Add the chicken broth. Loosen any beef remnants from the bottom of the pot.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce and slowly add the half and half. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Stir in the mashed potatoes until well combined with the broth. If desired, use an immersion blender to blend until creamy.
- Add the cooked ground beef and frozen vegetables and allow them to heat through, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Gradually mix in the shredded cheese until combined. The soup will continue to thicken more as it sits. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serves 6-8.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
This recipe is adapted from The Cozy Cook.