Right now, the weather keeps bouncing back between winter and spring. This has me in different moods in reguards to our evening meals. One minunte I’m craving soup, the next day I’m wanted more fresh dishes. This creamy cheesy vegetable soup is one of those recipes I made on one of those more winter feeling days.
It is kind of a nice transition meal for right now. It has a lot of nice veggies, but is also warm and cheesy. You can find that mirepiox is the base. You have butter and olive oil to cook the carrots, onion, and celery in. Then, you also have garlic, potatoes, broccoli, and corn in there next.
The creamy cheesy base is made from chicken broth, flour, milk, heavy creamy, and sharp cheddar cheese. There is also Italian seasoning added in there for flavor. It works so well with all those vegetables in there. Just serve this creamy cheesy vegetable soup up with some crusty warm bread or a nice hot roll the side and you are set! I did serve this up with the recipe for potato rolls I shared with you all last week.Print
- 5 Tbsp butter, divided
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 4 cups baby red or baby gold potatoes, chopped into small bite-sized pieces
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups frozen broccoli florets, thawed and chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- In a stock pot over medium heat, melt 1 Tbsp of the butter and the 1 Tbsp olive oil. Add in the diced carrots, celery and onion. Saute 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and saute 30 seconds more.
- Add in the chopped potatoes, Italian seasoning, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook 15-20 minutes or until the veggies tender. Stir in broccoli and corn and cook 2-3 minutes longer or until veggies are tender and heated.
- Cook stirring constantly until mixture begins to gently boil and thicken. Then stir in the heavy cream. Remove from heat and once all veggies are tender in the stock pot, pour the milk/cream mixture into the vegetable soup and stir. Season with the salt and pepper.
- Lower heat and stir in the shredded cheese. Cook until cheese is melted. Serves 4 to 6.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Recipe is adapted from Chelsea’s Messy Apron.