I am one of those people that has to have cranberry sauce with their turkey on Thanksgiving. The canned stuff with do but fresh cranberry sauce is THE BEST! It is so simple to make and can be made ahead of time.
This year I decided to give a cranberry relish a try. This relish recipe has some fresh cranberries cooked in it along with some fresh ones that are raw. Cranberry sauce usually has a nice fresh flavor, but this relish has an even more fresh flavor with addition of the raw cranberries. You get the sweet and soft texture from the cooked along with the tart and crunchy texture with the raw berries. It is refreshing fresh in flavor.
Now, not only is this good served with the Thanksgiving bird but is also yummy top on crackers with a nice schmear of cream cheese.
If you want a more traditional sauce these are also great – Cranberry Apricot Sauce or Cranberry Sauce (my favorite go-to recipe). Make your own sauce, trust me on this one!
- 2 (12 oz) bags fresh cranberries
- 2 oranges
- 1 cup sugar
- In a sauce pan, combine 1 bag of the cranberries along with zest and juice of one of the oranges. Mix in the sugar.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and simmer for 3 minutes. Allow to Cool.
- In a food processor, add the remaining bag of cranberries.
- Cut the remaining orange into 8 pieces and add to the food processor. Pulse the cranberries and and orange together until finely chopped.
- Combine this mixture with the cooked mixture and serve or refrigerate for up to 5 days.