I decided to make a copy cat recipe for McDonald’s Shamrock shake when I was planning for my St. Patrick’s day post. There isn’t much to a shake recipe, so it isn’t hard to figure out, but getting just the right amount to make the right shake consistency is key. I allowed some leeway to the peppermint extract. This way you can adjust the taste to your liking. If you aren’t a peppermint fan then leave out the extract and us a little vanilla extract in it’s place and still enjoy a festive looking milk shake for the holiday.
You can use whatever kind of milk you have, but a milk with a higher fat content will give a richer flavor. To finish off this copy cat shamrock shake you can top it with that whipped cream in a can. However, I prefer to make my own whipped cream and pipe it on. The stuff in the can has a lot of air in it and deflates after it sits for a few seconds.Print
- 3 cups of vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
- 1 1/2 cups milk (I used skim)
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 8 drops of green food coloring
- green sprinkles, if desired
- sweetened whipped cream
- Place the ingredients in the order listed above in a blender. Start out with the 1/4 tsp extract and taste after blending to see if you want a stronger mint flavor, if so add another 1/4 tsp extract.
- Blend in the blender until smooth. Pour mixture into 2 glasses and top with whipped cream and sprinkles if desired. Makes 2 shakes.