Today’s dish is similar to a biscuit topped pot pie. It contains a creamy sauce surrounding chunks of chicken and vegetables. Then it gets covered with a cheesy biscuit topping. All the makings of a great dish, right?
This is one of those great all-in-one meals. However, I do still like to serve it with a salad on the side. I also love that the sauce used in this is made from scratch.
- 3 Tbps butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup diced red pepper
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced (I used half of a rotisserie chicken from Costco)
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots
- Biscuit topping:
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 diced green onion, optional
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and red pepper to the pan. Cook over medium heat until onions are slightly tender.
- Whisk the flour into the pan and cook until flour begins to look golden.
- Slowly whisk in the chicken broth to avoid lumps. Then do the same with the milk.
- Allow mixture to cook until slightly thickened.
- Mix in the salt, pepper, chicken, and frozen carrots and peas.
- Pour mixture into a 9 x 13 baking dish or divide between six individual casserole dishes.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the eggs, milk, cheese, and green onion to the flour mixture and stir with a spoon just until combined.
- Drop tablespoons of the dough on top of the vegetable chicken mixture. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes until biscuit topping is golden. Serves 6.
Adapted from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe.