Banana bread is a staple in my house and I recently decided to give my go to recipe a slight make over with the addition of a chocolate swirl. Bananas and chocolate go so well together. I also tried the recipe out with SPLENDA® ESSENTIALSTM No Calorie Sweetener in place of the sugar. I used their new sweetener that has 1 gram of fiber per teaspoon. You use the exact same amount of SPLENDA® as sugar.
They also now have SPLENDA®with vitamin B or antioxidants. The SPLENDA® with vitamin B has 20% of the daily value of vitamins B1 (thiamin), B5 (pantothenic acid), and B6, per packet. The SPLENDA® with antioxidants has 20% of the daily value of vitamins C and E, per packet.
With SPLENDA® you can get a sweet fix with out the calories. SPLENDA® has 0 calories in 1 tsp.
There are a few tips though for using SPLENDA® and I used these when baking the banana bread:
- When creaming butter or margarine with SPLENDA® Granulated Sweetener, your mixture will appear less smooth than it would with sugar, and may separate upon the addition of eggs. No worries -this is completely normal. Just continue following the recipe instructions.
- In the baking process, sugar caramelizes to produce the familiar golden brown color of baked goods. Baked goods made with little or no sugar do not brown like recipes made with sugar. To help achieve a more golden brown color when baking with SPLENDA® Granulated Sweetener, lightly spray the batter or dough with cooking spray just before placing in the oven.
- Your baked goods made with SPLENDA® Granulated Sweetener may bake more quickly than those made with sugar.
Cakes: Check 7-10 minutes before the original recipe’s expected bake time.
Cookies, brownies and quick breads: Check 3-5 minutes before the original recipe’s expected bake time.
I also have a giveaway to go along with the recipe today. SPLENDA® has provided a gift pack for one lucky reader. The prize package includes:
- One (1) SPLENDA® ESSENTIALSTM No Calorie Sweetener with B Vitamins
- One (1) SPLENDA® ESSENTIALSTM No Calorie Sweetener, 1 gram of Fiber packets
- One (1) SPLENDA® ESSENTIALSTM No Calorie Sweetener, 1 gram of Fiber granulated
- One (1) SPLENDA® ESSENTIALSTM No Calorie Sweetener to-go mug
- One (1) Splenda-yellow blender
- Two (2) Splenda-yellow bowls
- One (1) Splenda-yellow fruit juicer
To enter, leave a comment on this post leave a comment about an“essential” healthy living tip you have. Also, “like” the SPLENDA® Sweetener Products Facebook page, then leave a comment here letting me know that you did and get another entry. You have until Tuesday Sept 20 at 10 (MST) to enter. This giveaway is now closed.
SPLENDA® also has a sweepstakes going on via the Facebook Essentials tab.
Visit the Splenda Brand Facebook page and click on the new ESSENTIALS tab, you can request a free sample of the new Splenda Essentials product and share with other users what’s ‘essential’ to them. By doing so, consumers will be entered for a chance to win a travel mug with a $25 Dunkin’ Donuts gift card! Three lucky winners will be announced each day— but that’s not all. For every 10,000 sample requests received, the Splenda team will give away a $1,000 Visa gift card!
Also, be sure to join me for the SPLENDA® ESSENTIALSTM No Calorie Sweetener Products Twitter party on Tuesday, September 13 from 9-11pm ET. All the info about the party can be found at Mom It Forward.
Chocolate Swirl Banana Bread
Real Mom Kitchen
- ½ cup chocolate chips I used semi-sweet
- ½ cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar or SPLENDA®
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup bananas mashed
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 cups flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- Place the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and microwave at 15 second intervals, stirring each time, until smooth and melted. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream sugar or SPLENDA® with the butter. Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Add bananas, milk, and lemon juice to the mixture and blend together.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the flour mixture to wet mixture and stir until just combined.
- Remove 1 cup of the banana bread batter and mix in with the melted chocolate. Stir until well combined.
- Grease a large 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan. Spoon chocolate batter alternately with plain batter into an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan. Swirl batters together using a knife. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
Recipe adapted from my previously posted Banana Bread recipe.
Splenda compensated me for participation in this campaign. However, all thoughts and opinions are my own.