Today is #nationalchocolateicecreamday . A day most worthy of being celebrated and I am also celebrating it with the other #celebratingfoodholidays bloggers to give you a line up of tasty ways to celebrate.
I am sharing this delicious Chocolate Ice Cream Cupcake recipe. It may look super complicated but the base of it is made with a cake mix followed by a layer of your favorite store bought ice cream.
At birthday parties, I love to enjoy cake and ice cream, but I eat them separately. My husband, on the other hand, likes to eat them together. I knew he would love this recipe but wasn’t sure if I would. Well let me tell you, I love them!
It is the perfect ratio of cake to ice cream and I love the addition whipped cream and crunchy mini chocolate chips. This recipe is definitely going to be something I make often.
Now even though you mix a whole cake mix together, you only need half of the cake. However, you could use the whole cake if you’d like to and end up with 48 cupcakes. I just made 24 of the bases for the ice cream cupcakes and then used the rest of the batter to make regular cupcakes.
You can also you the concept of this recipe and make other flavor variations by using different cake mixes and ice cream flavors.
- 1 box cake mix prepared according to pkg directions
- 1 carton of your favorite chocolate ice cream
- 2 cups whipping cream
- powdered sugar
- 1/4 cp mini chocolate chips
- Now to make 24 cupcakes you only need 1/2 of the prepared cake mix. You can use the other half to make regular cupcakes or make 24 more ice cream cupcakes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line muffin tins with 24 cupcake liners. Scoop 1 Tbsp of batter into the bottom of each tin. Bake at 350 for 8 minutes or until cake is set. Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Allow ice cream to soften on the counter top. Scoop small scoops of the softened ice cream over each cake layer. Then spread out evenly. You want the ice cream to fill to the top of the liner. Place in the freezer.
- Now beat the whipping cream until almost to stiff peaks. Then mix in powdered sugar and vanilla until blended.
- Remove cupcakes from the freezer and pip whipped cream on each cupcake like you would with frosting. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Freeze for 3-4 hours or overnight. makes 24 cupcakes.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
Recipe adapted from A Pumpkin and A Princess.
Chocolate Ganache Ice Cream from Ashlee Marie
Chocolate Cookie Dough Ice Cream from Creations by Kara
Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches from Crumb
Chocolate Ice Cream Bread from Savory Experiments
Strawberry Chocolate Ripple Ice Cream from An Italian in my Kitchen
Blender Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream from 365 Days of Slow Cooking
Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream from Simply Stacie
Baileys Chocolate Ice Cream from Super Golden Bakes
Double Chocolate Crunch Homemade Ice Cream from Real Mom Kitchen