If you want something nice to serve on Christmas, this chicken with mushroom sauce just may be it. This is so tasty and looks fancy enough for a special occasion.
You start with 2 chicken breasts and cut them in half lengthwise. You start with 2 chicken breasts and cut them in half lengthwise. This gives you a nice thin chicken breast that cooks faster and is the perfect potion. After you slice them, you can pound then too to even out the thickness if needed.
Now, you are going to mix together a little seasoning mix.
It’s a mixture of salt, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and pepper. Once you have this mixed together, you use it to season both sides of the chicken breasts. Then you are going to pan fry this chicken in a little olive oil. You want to get some brown color on both sides of the chicken and cooked though. You want to remove the chicken from the skillet and place in a pan. The cover with foil to keep warm. You can even put in in a 200 degree oven to maintain the warmth.
Next, you are going to use the skillet or pan you cooked the chicken in to make the mushroom sauce. You want all those bits let from the chicken. It adds great flavor to the sauce. Add the butter and mushrooms to the skillet. Once the mushrooms are tender, you will add in some flour and cook for a few minutes. Then, you will and in some chicken broth and give it a little time to thicken. Last, just add the chicken back to the skillet with the sauce and warm through.
I served the chicken up along side from of my Instant Pot mashed potatoes using chive and onion cream cheese. It was the perfect side. I also had some frozen California vegetable mix along with some homemade rolls. I will be sharing that recipe tomorrow. They are my new go to homemade roll that I have been making since Thanksgiving. I have made them at least 4 times.
Chicken with Mushroom Sauce
Real Mom Kitchen
- 2 chicken breasts about 1 1/2 lbs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp fresh ground pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 ½ cup chicken broth
- Cut each chicken breast in half, lengthwise to make two thinner pieces. If needed flatten the chicken breast with a mallet to even out the thickness.
- In a bowl, combine the salt, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and black pepper together.
- Season the chicken on both sides with the prepared seasoning mix.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the chicken and cook for 3-5 minutes on each side until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through. You want the internal temperature of the chicken to be 165°F at the thickest part.
- Remove the skillet from the heat. Remove the chicken from the skillet and place in pan and and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Place it back over medium heat and add the butter. When the butter is melted add the mushrooms. Cook the mushrooms for 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently. Sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms, stirring well to mix. Cook the mushrooms for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Slowly add the chicken broth while stirring and gently scraping any bits off the bottom of the skillet. Bring to a simmer and cook for approximately 5 minutes (or until it thickens), stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper to the mushroom sauce and add salt and pepper, to taste, if needed.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet and coat with the mushroom sauce. Lower the heat to medium-low, cover and cook about 5 minutes to warm through. Serves 4.
This recipe is adapted from Cook 2 Eat Well.