I have a new favorite sandwich. There Chicken and Roasted Red Pepper Sandwiches are easy to make and tastes amazing. A big bonus is the chicken is prepared in the slow cooker. Slow cooked meals are such a great option for summer. They save energy and don’t heat up the house.
I also loved that this all comes together with just a few ingredients. Pesto happens to be one of them. You can buy bottled pesto at the grocery store right with the spaghetti sauce. I however prefer to buy it in the refrigerated section. I love to get a big bottle of it from Costco or Sam’s Club. However, if you don’t want such a big bottle, Walmart has a small tub that you can find in either the produce or deli refrigerated section.
Last, the sandwich is made on a loaf of focaccia bread. I pick up my loaf from Sam’s Club. I used their rosemary and sea salt loaf. If you prefer, you can always make your own or even use some other kind of roll or bread to serve it on. I think ciabatta would be another great option.
- CHICKEN BREASTS
- SALT AND PEPPER
- SLICED ROASTED RED PEPPERS
- LOAF OF FOCACCIA BREAD
Roasted Red Pepper and Chicken Sandwiches
Real Mom Kitchen
- 6 chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- ½ cup roasted red peppers sliced
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 3 Tbsp pesto
- 1 loaf focaccia bread around 13 oz in size, cut into 6 pieces and each pieces sliced down the middle
- slice tomato
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and place in the slow cooker.
- Place roasted red pepper on top of chicken. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred. Place back in slow cooker and mix with juices.
- In a bowl, combine mayonnaise and pest until combined.
- Drain off any excess juices from the chicken and serve on with the pesto mayonnaise tomato slices, and lettuce. Makes 6 sandwiches.
Recipe adapted from Your Home Based Mom.