This pastry has even been featured on two Food Network shows. I live in Utah and I first heard of a Kouign Amann while watching The Best Thing I Ever Had where the Neely’s said that the Les Madeleines Kouign Amann was the best thing they ever had. It was after seeing this on that episode that I knew I had to try one. I mean to it was only gonna take me about 30 minutes to be able to try one of these babies. They are very labor intensive to make, but Les Madeleines are willing to make the effort.
I must tell you they totally live up to the hype! They are amazingly sweet, tender, crunchy, flaky, and caramelized. I actually dreamt about these after having one for the first time. If you have the chance to have one of these pockets of heaven, you really should.
However, if you can’t get to Salt Lake, you could try to make them from scratch or you could try this cheater version. The cheater version is simple to make. It’s not as amazing as the real deal, but they are still pretty tasty.
- 1 box frozen puff pastry, 2 sheets thawed
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut 12 (5 inch) squares out of parchment paper.
- Cut each sheet in half. Cut one half into 6 squares and the other half into 6 strips.
- Brush the top of the squares in the melted butter. Press the buttered side of each square in sugar and lay each square sugar-side-down on its own parchment paper square. Then brush the top side of the square with butter and sprinkle with sugar to coat.
- Dip each strip in butter. Dip each strip in sugar and roll into a loose spiral. Place a spiral on top of each square.
- Lower the parchment paper squares into the wells of a muffin tin. Press each center of each pastry down to fill out the wells.
- Bake ay 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Makes 12 servings.
Recipe adapted from A Spicy Perspective.