It is pumpkin week this week here at RMK and we are beginning with a pumpkin french toast with whipped pumpkin butter! This week is seriously one of the weeks that I look forward to the most each year!
Oh man, and do I have some good pumpkin recipes lined up for this week. We are starting off the week with a breakfast recipe that incorporates pumpkin in 2 ways – first in the batter for the french toast and then in the butter that you top the french toast with. It really is a great way to enjoy pumpkin for your breakfast.
It is just like regular french toast but with a dose of fall flavor. The butter is amazing with it also. It just adds in even more fall flavor to it. I have an orange walnut butter I have shared before that would also be wonderful to serve this with.
- 4 eggs
- ⅔ cup milk
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 1½ tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 12 slices thick bread like Texas toast, french bread, challah, croissant halves
- Whipped pumpkin butter:
- ½ cup butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- In a shallow dish, eggs, milk, pumpkin, vanilla, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice together until well blended.
- Dip each slice of bread into the mixture coating both sides. Cook on a grilled or skillet coated with butter until each side is golden brown. Serve hot with topped whipped pumpkin butter, maple syrup and toasted chopped nuts (if desired). Serves 6.
- For the pumpkin butter, add the softened butter to a bowl and beat with a mixer for 2 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add in the remaining ingredients and beat for an additional minute or until blended and fluffy. Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Recipe adapted from Life Made Simple.