This post may contain affiliate links.
One of my most favorite cookies is frosted sugar cookies. I recently adapted a recipe I had to create these candy cane sugar cookie bars.
There is just something about a soft sugar cookie with creamy buttercream frosting on top! However, I am not always up for the work of rolling the dough out, cutting it into shapes, and frosting them.
Years ago, I found a way to get the wonderful taste of sugar cookies with out all the work – sugar cookie bars. This year, I decided to take that recipe and give it a Christmas twist. I elected for the taste of candy canes incorporated into the cookie. It was the perfect addition! These candy cane sugar cookie bars are fantastic.
If you do want to have more of a traditional sugar cookie, I have a no roll version I shared last year that also takes less work than a regular sugar cookie. Or I have a bar version just like this one but made with cream cheese. It is also quite divine! If you don’t like frosting, I even have you covered with these easy sugar cookies. I have the sugar cookie lover covered.
Candy Cane Sugar Cookie Bars
- 1 cup butter, room temp
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 5 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3 crushed peppermint candy canes
- 1/2 cup butter, room temp
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 5 Tbsp milk
- 1 cup Andes Peppermint Crunch Baking Chips ***see note
- In a large bowl, cream together 1 cup butter with 2 cups sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each egg. Add vanilla and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt, and soda and whisk to combine. Add to creamed mixture and mix just until combined adding crushed candy canes into the dough when the batter is almost combined.
- Spread on a greased baking sheet (use a 13 x 18 pan). Bake at 375 degrees for 10-15 min, until light golden brown or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
- For frosting, combine 1/2 cup butter and shortening until smooth and creamy. Add vanilla and salt.
- Add powdered sugar in 1-2 cup increments until combined, then add milk & mix until smooth and spreading consistency. Spread over cooled cookie and sprinkle with the 1 cup of peppermint crunch baking chips. Cut into bars and serve.
if you can’t find the Andes Peppermint Crunch Baking Chips – you can substitute chopped Hershey’s Candy Cane Kisses.
Real Mom Kitchen Original recipe.
Ummmm Hi miss. I was just wondering…… Your recipe calls for a LOT of butter and sugar! Is there a way you can reduce those two ingredients to a quarter of that? And to at least tell me how many squares it makes? It wasn’t mentioned. Thanks!
[…] Candy Cane Sugar Cookie Bars […]
[…] Butter with a Side of Bread Brookies from Creations by Kara Coconut Macaroons from Ashlee Marie Candy Cane Sugar Cookie Bars from Real Mom […]
[…] so far we are doing pretty good. For one of our activities last week, we made another recipe from Real Mom Kitchen and I thought I’d share how we pulled it off in the Airstream. First off, these are super […]
[…] Candy Cane Sugar Cookie Bars from Real Mom Kitchen […]