This is a “souper” recipe. He, he! Really, I don’t mean to get “cheesy” on you. Ok, sorry I’m in a goofy mood. The recipe is for Broccoli Cheese Soup. The recipe came from My Kitchen Cafe. Love her. And I loved this recipe.
I loved the flavor that it gets from the combination of cheddar and swiss cheese. I made 1 1/2 recipes for my family of 5. We even had a little leftover. It may have even been better the next day as leftovers.
I also simplified the recipe my using a bag of Green Giant Valley Fresh Steamers chopped broccoli. I love these. Take a bag from the freezer, toss it in the microwave, and in about 6 minutes you have hot steamed veggies. If you go the frozen bagged veggies just make sure to drain the broccoli before adding it to the soup. I serve mine along with Easy Potato Rolls.
- 1 can chicken broth
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 cup butter
- Pepper to taste
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (the sharper the better for flavor)
- 1/2 cup shredded swiss cheese
- steamed chopped broccoli (the amount of broccoli really boils down to preference My Kitchen Cafe steamed approximately 2 1/2 to 3 cups of broccoli florets I used a Green Giant Valley Fresh Steamers chopped broccoli for 1 1/2 recipes, if you use this, drain the broccoli before adding it to the soup)
- Simmer chicken broth and chopped onion for 15-20 minutes in a covered small saucepan, until onions are soft.
- Heat milk in microwave for 1-2 minutes.
- In a separate medium-sized stockpot, melt butter then add flour and pepper. Cook together for a couple of minutes, then whisk in warmed milk. Stir and heat together on medium-high heat until soup starts to thicken.
- Next add chicken broth and continue to stir until well blended. Add cheeses and steamed broccoli. Serve immediately. Makes approximately 4 servings