If you liked the recipe I recently posted for the Baked Oven Omelet, then you’ll love this recipe for breakfast casserole. I got this recipe from a coupon section of my Sunday paper years ago.
It uses sausage and some other veggies. I don’t add the tomatoes or mushrooms due to my family’s tastes. I do think it would be even better with those in there. Since I don’t put those veggies in there, my husband like to drizzle a little syrup on his serving.
This can also be made the night ahead just like the Baked Oven Omelet. This recipe does use twice the amount of eggs as the Oven Baked Omelet, but you don’t have to butter all the bread. This one you just have to cube the bread. Both recipes are wonderful in there own way and made an awesome entree for Holiday breakfast.
Real Mom Kitchen
- 1 pkg. Regular Flavor Jimmy Dean Pork Sausage
- 10 eggs lightly beaten
- 3 cups milk
- 2 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 cups cubed bread
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- ½ tsp black pepper I just put in what looks good to me
- ½ cup sliced mushrooms optional
- 1 medium tomato seeded and chopped (optional)
- ½ cup thin-sliced green onions optional
- Preheat oven to 325 F. In large skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until thoroughly cooked and no longer pink.
- In large mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, mustard and salt; stir well. Distribute half the bread evenly in a buttered 9" x 13" x 2" baking dish. Sprinkle with half the pepper, half the cheese, half the sausage and half of each optional ingredient.
- Repeat layering using remaining bread, pepper, cheese, sausage and optional ingredients. Pour egg mixture evenly over casserole.
- Bake uncovered at 325 for 55-60 minutes, or until eggs are set. Tent with foil if top begins to brown too quickly.