It is almost June and all the kids are getting out of school. Summer is here! This week I have summer main dish meals for you. They all will be prepared using a crock pot, stove top, or just a bowl. These will all help you beat the heat by not using the oven to prepare your meal. Here in Utah we already had a record day last week at 94 degrees. With the unusually dry winter this year, they say we are in for a hot summer. You don’t want to be adding to the heat just by preparing dinner.
Today’s dish is prepared on the stove top and was a pleaser for this family who is always up for any Mexican dish. I love that it utilizes beans along with meat. The beans extend your meat and add to the nutritional value of the dish. I also added in some cooked rice to make it even heartier. This is a great way to use up leftover rice or you can always cook some rice. You could even use Minute Rice if you want the cooked rice in a hurry.Print
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 pkt taco seasoning
- 1 (16 oz) can Bush’s pinto beans, undrained
- 1 cup fully cooked rice
- 1 (10 3/4 oz) can tomato soup
- 1 (10 1/2 oz) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained (like Ro*Tel)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- diced green onion, optional for garnish
- In a 12 inch skillet over medium heat, beak up and brown the beef until fully cooked. Drain off any fat.
- Add the taco seasoning, beans, rice, tomato soup, and canned tomaoes with green chilies. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Top with shredded cheese and green onion if desired and serve.
Recipe adapted from Bush Beans.
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post.