I am a big pasta fan. I absolutely love a good pasta dish. My husband on the other hand is stuck on cheese or meat ravioli. So, I am always trying new pasta dishes on him to see if he’ll give it a thumbs up. Most of his complaints about baked ziti is that it tends to be too try. I also prefer to use bottle pasta sauce when I can, because being a busy mom doesn’t allow most of the time for make sauce from scratch.
When I saw first saw Bobby at Blog Chef post this recipe in 2009, I knew I had to give it a try. His recipe calls for the addition of chicken broth to the bottled pasta sauce. I figured this would keep the dish more moist after baking. Also, it included meat in the dish. My husband also isn’t a fan of meatless pasta dishes. Even when he has cheese ravioli he always wants it with meat sauce. So, I gave Bobby’s recipe a try an it was a hit.
I probably could have gotten by with making a half a recipe for my family though. We basically had half of the pan left over. It was a hit and I loved the addition of the chicken broth.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 (32 oz) jar meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 (16 oz) pkg ziti pasta (cooked and drained)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large skillet add ground beef, onions and garlic. Cook over medium high heat stirring frequently until the beef is browned. Stir in spaghetti sauce, chicken broth and oregano. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in 1 cup of sauce into the cooked ziti noodles. Spoon ½ of the ziti mixture into a 13×9” baking dish. Sprinkle 1 ½ cups mozzarella cheese and ½ cup parmesan cheese over the top of the ziti mixture. Top with 2 cups of the sauce, then add remaining ziti mixture and top that with the remaining sauce.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes remove from oven, uncover and sprinkle the top with the remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Return to over and bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Makes 6 servings.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Beef
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Italian
This is the original photo from this post when it was first posted in Oct. 2009.