I love apple turnovers. I think I love them more than apple pie! You get that nice and flaky puff pastry encasing sweet and tender apples mingled with spicy cinnamon. Hello fall, I love you! I created this simple apple turnovers with caramel icing using frozen puff pastry and fresh apples for the filling. To top it all off, I chose a sweet caramel icing. Sure you could do a regular old vanilla icing, but the caramel icing was delish! I must say, I was quite pleased with the results.
- FROZEN PUFFED PASTRY
- MEDIUM APPLES (I USED GALA)
- LEMON JUICE
- BROWN SUGAR
- BROWN SUGAR
- POWDERED SUGAR
- 1 (17.3 oz) pkg frozen puffed pastry, thawed according to pkg directions
- 4 medium apples – peeled, cored, and thinly sliced (I used gala)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 dashes of nutmeg
- 3 Tbsp butter, divided
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- In a skillet, cook the apple slices with the lemon juice until they start to soften.
- Add the sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg and cook for 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and mix in 1 Tbsp butter until melted. Allow mixture to cool.
- Once mixture is cooled preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Open puff pastry and cut each sheet into 4 squares.
- Place a spoonful of the cooled apple mixture on half of each square.
- Fold over each half of the square sealing edges, creating a rectangle. Cut 3 slits on the top of each pastry.
- Place pastries on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cook at 375 for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly while you prepare the icing.
- In a small sauce pan, melt the remaining 2 Tbsp butter.
- Add the brown sugar and milk to the melted butter. Cook over medium low heat for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the vanilla and powdered sugar until icing is smooth. Drizzle over cooked turnovers. Makes 8.
To warm leftovers, place a turnover on a plate and microwave for 10 seconds.
Recipe inspired by Bettina’s Blog.