Today, I have a bundt cake version of apple cider donuts. It’s an apple cider donut cake! The great thing is it all starts with a good old cake mix.
Now, you don’t just mix up the yellow cake mix via the instructions on the box. You do add 3 eggs, but then there is also apple cider, apple sauce, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
The cake gets cooked in a bundt pan. So it ends up looking like one big donut. Now is where the fun comes in. You can give it a coating on cinnamon sugar. You bust the cake with melted butter and then sprinkle it with cinnamon and sugar.
The other way to finish it off is with an apple cider glaze. I did the cinnamon sugar coating for the picture. However, my family prefers the apple cider glaze. It’s just made from powdered sugar and apple cider. Mix mix and drizzle.
Now, I always spray my bundt pan with a baking spray that includes flour. I use this instead of the standard grease and flouring of the pan. I have never had a problem with my cake sticking to the pan at all since I started using it.Print
- 1 yellow cake mix
- 1 cup apple cider
- ½ cup applesauce
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- For the cinnamon sugar topping:
- 2 Tbsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup melted butter
- For the apple cider glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the dry cake mix, apple cider, applesauce, eggs, cinnamon, brown sugar, and vanilla. Beat together for 2 minutes.
- Place bundt pan on center rack and bake for 40-45 minutes. Test with a toothpick by sticking into the middle of the cake, if it comes out clean it is ready. Remove from heat and allow to cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Invert and allow to cool. Once cooled finish the cake with the cinnamon sugar coating of the apple cider glaze.
- For the cinnamon sugar coating, in a bowl, mix the cinnamon and sugar together. Brush the cooled cake with the melted butter and sprinkle with the cinnamon/sugar mixture.
- For the apple cider glaze, whisk the apple cider and powdered sugar together. Drizzle over the cake.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Recipe is adapted from Princess Pinky Girl.