Since I shared a cupcake recipe with you yesterday, I had to share a frosting recipe with you today! And in my book, yellow cake is awesome with chocolate frosting.
This whipped chocolate frosting is a ganache based. So it starts with chocolate melted with cream which then gets cooled. Once cooled, some vanilla gets added and the mixture then gets whipped. It needs to be whipped for several minutes to get a fluffy consistency. Adding air will make this dense ganache light and airy.
At this point, you must sample the frosting. Yep, that is part of the process for making this. You must sample the results. You just may need a little powdered sugar added in there to help balance out the deep richness of the ganache. This is all just personal preference.
This frosting definitely is a deeper chocolate flavor since you make it with actual chocolate as opposed to a chocolate buttercream frosting which you usually make with cocoa powder.
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, if desired
- In a microwave safe bowl, add chocolate and cream together. Microwave in 20 second intervals stirring after each one until chocolate is melted and mixture is cooled.
- Transfer mixture to another bowl and place in the fridge for 1 hour or until the mixture can keep form when you scoop it with a spoon.
- Add in vanilla and whip with a mixer for 4-5 minutes until light and fluffy. Taste the frosting and add in 1/2 cup powdered sugar if desired to help cut down on the richness of the frosting. Pipe into cupcakes and enjoy! Makes enough frosting to frost 24 cupcakes.
Recipe adapted from Cup of Your Cake.