The base of these Turkey Over Italy Sandwiches all begins with a loaf of French bread. I love grabbing a fresh loaf from my local grocery store. Another option for this sandwich is focaccia bread. You can pick up that from the store. Or of you have the time, a homemade focaccia bread is the best.
This sandwich is pretty simple to put together, but the combination of ingredients for this is what makes it so amazing. It utilizes deli turkey and provolone cheese. Those two items go so well together. However, you also have some pepperoncini peppers added in their too. If you haven’t had these before think of pickled sweet peppers.
The pesto mayo is part of what makes this sandwich so tasty. You just mix together some may and prepared pesto for this. However, the lettuce what really adds to this sandwich. It gets tossed with red vinegar and oregano before you place it on the sandwich. It is one of my new favorite sandwiches.
- FRENCH BREAD
- DELI TURKEY
- PROVOLONE CHEESE
- ROMAINE LETTUCE
- RED WINE VINEGAR
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup pesto
- 1 loaf french bread
- 1 lb thin sliced deli turkey
- 1/2 lb slice provolone cheese
- 1 head romaine lettuce, cut into thin slices
- 1 jar pepperoncinis, drained
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp oregano
- In a bowl, mix mayo and pesto together.
- Slice french bread in half lengthwise. Spread pesto mixture over both sides of the cut loaf.
- On the bottom layer, top with cheese followed by turkey and then pepperoncinis.
- Toss lettuce with the vinegar and oregano and layer on the bottom of the sandwich. Top with the top half of the french bread and slice into 6-8 sandwiches.
Recipe adapted from Family Favorite Recipes.