I am always looking for a recipe that is a twist on staple meal in our house. It’s always fun to have something we like to have but presented in a new way. I saw this recipe for topsy turvy taco bake and it was a fun twist on tacos. We have tacos all the time at our house.
Angel Shannon presented this recipe on a local television show called Good Things Utah. It is so delicious. The best way to describe how this turns out it is it’s like a Mexican meat loaf with a corn bread layer. The topsy turvy part comes in when you invert this when you serve it. This was fun for a change and I will be putting it in my tried and true file.
To make this, you combine the ground beef with an egg, dried minced onion, tomato sauce and taco seasoning. Then you press it into the bottom of a 10 x 10 baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
Next, you mix up a box of Jiffy cornbread mix according to package directions. Pour it over the partially cooked ground beef mixture. Then bake at 400 degrees for 15 more minutes. Allow to rest for 10 minutes, then cut into squares and serve. Top each square with your favorite taco toppings like shredded cheese, lettuce, salsa, and sour cream.
- GROUND BEEF
- INSTANT ONION (JUST THE DRIED MINCED STUFF)
- TOMATO SAUCE
- TACO SEASONING
- CORNMEAL MUFFIN MIX (I USED A JIFFY MIX)
- DRESSINGS: CHOPPED TOMATOES, AVOCADO, SHREDDED LETTUCE, GREEN ONIONS, CHEESE, BLACK OLIVES, SALSA, AND SOUR CREAM (WHATEVER YOU LIKE ON YOUR TACO)
Topsy Turvy Taco Bake
Real Mom Kitchen
- 1 ½ lbs. ground beef raw
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp. instant onion just the dried minced stuff
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 1.25 oz. pkg. taco seasoning
- 1 8.5 oz. pkg. cornmeal muffin mix (I used a Jiffy mix)
- Dressings: chopped tomatoes avocado, shredded lettuce, green onions, cheese, black olives, salsa, and sour cream (whatever you like on your taco)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine beef, egg, onion, tomato sauce and taco seasoning. Spread in even layer in bottom of 10-in baking dish (I used an 11x8 dish).
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Prepare cornmeal muffin mix according to package directions. Spread over top of the beef. Continue baking at 400 degrees for 15 minutes longer.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes. Turn upside down on serving plate and top with tomatoes, avocado, black olives and cheese; dollop sour cream on individual servings. Serves 9.