If you are looking for a little more hearty roll recipe, this recipe for speedy whole wheat rolls is a great one! They taste great and can be ready to eat in just a little more than 30 minutes!
These rolls have the perfect blend of white and whole wheat flour. They are great to serve along with some soup or they are another great option to serve for Thanksgiving!
We always like to eat whole wheat rolls with a little butter followed by some honey or raspberry freezer jam.
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 Tbsp SAF yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer combine the whole wheat flour, yeast, sugar, and salt.
- In another bowl, combine the water, oil and eggs.
- Add the wet mixer to the flour mixture. Using the paddle attachment, beat until well combine. Allow to rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove the paddle attachment and attach the dough hook. Add the remaining flour and mix with the dough hook until combined. Then allow the dough hook to knead the dough for 1 minute.
- Spray your work area with non-stick cooking spray. Divide the dough into 24 pieces and shape each piece into a round ball.
- Brush a 15 x 10 inch baking sheet with enough of the melted butter to coat. Place dough balls on sheet and brush with remaining butter.
- Place in a 170 degree oven for 10 minutes. Remove rolls from oven. Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- Bake rolls at 425 degrees for 8-10 minutes until golden on top. Makes 2 dozen rolls.
Recipe adapted from Preparedness 365.