I was skeptical as to whether or not you could make sweet and sour chicken in the crock pot, but it totally works. Now, this slow cooker sweet and sour chicken does not include that crispy breaded coating. However, it really is healthier for you to not have that crispy coating. Don’t be scared off by the long list of ingredients. The bulk of the ingredients make the sauce and are regular pantry items.
You add the fresh veggies at the end to keep them nice and crisp. I like mine crisp but tender and cooking it 45 minutes was perfect. If you like your veggies with more crunch, just cook it less. It will be an nice addition to this slow cooker sweet and sour chicken.
- BROWN SUGAR
- WHITE SUGAR
- WHITE VINEGAR
- LEMON JUICE
- SOY SAUCE
- TOMATO PASTE
- GARLIC POWDER
- GROUND GINGER
- BONELESS SKINLESS CHICKEN BREASTS
- PINEAPPLE CHUNKS (USE FRESH OR CANNED CHUNKS)
- GREEN PEPPER
- COOKED RICE
Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Chicken
Real Mom Kitchen
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- ⅓ cup white vinegar
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 to 1 1/2 inch pieces
- ⅓ cup water
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- ¾ cup diced pineapple chunks use fresh or canned chunks
- ¼ medium onion cut into 1 inch pieces
- ½ green pepper cut into 1 inch pieces
- cooked rice
- Add the 1/2 cup water, brown sugar, sugar, vinegar, lemon juice, soy sauce, tomato paste, garlic powder, and ginger to the slow cooker and whisk until combined.
- Add the chicken pieces and stir to coat. Cook on low for 5 hours.
- In a small bowl combine the 1/3 cup water with the cornstarch. Add to the slow cooker and carefully stir to combine. The chicken will be tender so you want to keep the pieces to stay in pieces.
- Add the pineapple, onion, and bell pepper and carefully fold into the mixture. Cover and cook on low for another 45 minutes.
- Serve over cooked rice. Makes 4-5 servings.
Recipe adapted from Cooking Classy.