This post may contain affiliate links.
I have made chicken gyros before on the grill but was excited to see a slow cooker version. I love the grilled version but really enjoyed the ease of this slow cooked chicken gyros version.
It’s as easy as adding some chicken to your slow cooker with some onion on top. Then you combine some garlic, olive oil, oregano, allspice, lemon pepper, lemon juice, and red wine vinegar together in a bowl. Next, pour this over the chicken and onion and cook for 3-4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low. Once it’s done, just shred the chicken and it’s ready to serve on a pita with some tomato, red onion, lettuce, and Tzatziki sauce.
You can make your own pita bread or purchase some from the store. You also must make the Tzatziki sauce recipe I have shared before to serve with this. It is a must for any gyro. Just make it using Greek yogurt and it is quick to put together. No need to straining regular yogurt either.
- BONELESS, SKINLESS CHICKEN THIGHS
- GARLIC CLOVES
- OLIVE OIL
- DRIED OREGANO
- LEMON PEPPER SEASONING
- RED WINE VINEGAR
- POCKETLESS PITA BREADS
- RED ONION
- TZATZIKI SAUCE
Slow Cooked Chicken Gyros
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 large onion, diced
- 9 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 large lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 8 pocketless pita breads
- diced tomato
- thinly sliced red onion
- shredded lettuce
- Tzatziki sauce
- Place chicken breasts in the slow cooker and top with onion.
- Mix garlic, olive oil, oregano, allspice, lemon pepper, lemon juice, and vinegar in a bowl and pour over chicken breasts. Cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or LOW 6-8 hours.
- Shred chicken and serve on pocketless pita bread, topped with diced tomatoes, sliced onions, lettuce, and Tzatziki sauce. Serves 8.
Recipe adapted from All Free Slow Cooker Recipes.
[…] Crock Pot Greek Chicken Pitas, Tzatziki, and Crudites […]