You can make your own pita bread or purchase some from the store. You also must make the tizi sauce recipe I have shared before to serve with this. It is a must for any gyro. Just make it using greek yogurt and it is quick to put together. No need to straining regular yogurt.
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 large onion, diced
- 9 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 large lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 8 pocketless pita breads
- diced tomato
- thinly sliced red onion
- shredded lettuce
- Tzatziki sauce
- Place chicken breasts in the slow cooker and top with onion.
- Mix garlic, olive oil, oregano, allspice, lemon pepper, lemon juice, and vinegar in a bowl and pour over chicken breasts. Cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or LOW 6-8 hours.
- Shred chicken and serve on pocketless pita bread, topped with diced tomatoes, sliced onions, lettuce, and Tzatziki sauce. Serves 8.
Recipe adapted from All Free Slow Cooker Recipes.