Today’s recipe is a family favorite that we have been making for years. Sarah Salad is another yummy recipe that comes from the Lion House. Some of you may have tried the recipe that I have posted before for Lion House Rolls, same place. The thing that is so great about this salad is it can be made ahead of time.
You layer the ingredients in a bowl, then when it’s time to serve you give it a toss to coat the whole thing with the dressing. I like to put it in my trifle bowl, but any large bowl will do. Just make sure it gives you extra room to toss the salad before serving. This is one of the few recipes I buy Miracle Whip for. I am a mayo girl, but love the mayo/miracle whip combo dressing in this salad. I hurried a took a picture of this before we headed over to my in-laws with the salad for Christmas. Love it, and I’m sure you will too.
- ICEBERG LETTUCE
- FROZEN PEAS
- SALT AND PEPPER
- SWISS CHEESE
- GREEN ONION
- SALAD DRESSING (LIKE MIRACLE WHIP)
Real Mom Kitchen
- 1 head of iceberg lettuce
- 3 strips of bacon I use 6
- ½ of a 10 oz pkg. frozen peas
- ¼ tsp. sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ½ cup shredded Swiss cheese or 2 1/2 oz. cut into strips
- ⅔ cups diced green onion
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup salad dressing like Miracle Whip
- Wash and drain lettuce. Dry thoroughly.
- Dice and cook bacon until crisp; drain and cool on paper towel.
- Put frozen peas in a colander. Run hot water over peas to thaw. Drain peas.
- Tear lettuce into bit sized pieces and place in salad bowl.
- Sprinkle sugar, salt, and pepper over top of lettuce.
- Add peas, cheese, onion, mayo, and salad dressing. (If making salad ahead of time layer ingredients in order listed finishing with mayo and salad dressing. I just drop the mayo and salad dressing by the spoonful over the top of the salad. Then you basically frost the salad with the mayo and salad dressing, like a cake. The cover tightly and refrigerate overnight.) Toss salad when ready to serve.
- Garnish with bacon. makes 8 servings.