This pecan cream cheese stuffed french toast recipe is one I created for Father’s Day breakfast for my hubby. After making the strawberry stuffed french toast, I was looking through my breakfast file of recipes to try and came across a stuffed french toast recipe from Allrecipes. It sounded yummy but I wasn’t in love with the entire recipe.
So I created my own recipe using the recipe from Allrecipes and the strawberry stuffed french toast recipe. It turned out fabulous. My husband and middle son did say that they preferred the strawberry version. However, my oldest son preferred this version. My daughter, who is my youngest could care less. They were both french toast. I loved both. My favorite part of this one is the syrup. I love the combination of almond with citrus.
- 1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese, softened
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 14 pieces of Texas toast
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- butter (about 4 Tbsp)
- 1 cup Smucker’s Apricot preserves
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- Mix together cream cheese, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla until smooth. Fold in chopped pecans. Spread on one side of 7 slices of Texas toast a spoonful of the filling mixture. Top with remaining 7 slices of Texas toast. (I did this the night before and put the sandwiches in a plastic bag, then in the refrigerator. Then I took the bread out of the fridge while I prepared the syrup and made the egg mixture.)
- At this point make your syrup. Combine the syrup ingredients in a sauce pan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and allow to boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. The syrup will thicken up while it cools. You want it to cool for about 15 minutes.
- Mix your egg, milk, and vanilla together.
- Preheat the oven to 400F . Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and place in oven to warm up. Melt 1/2 tbsp or so of butter in a frying pan. Take the sandwiches, one by one, and place in the egg and milk mixture, turning so that the mixture covers both sides. Transfer the sandwich to the pan and cook until the first side is lightly brown. Flip over and cook the other side. When both sides are lightly brown, place the sandwich on the baking sheet in the oven to keep warm.
- Serve with the Almond Citrus Syrup or regular syrup. Serves 7.